About My Blog

I Spent six weeks in Egypt before spending a year in Germany. This blog covers the best summer of my life. If you are looking for my posts while I was in Germany ask me, and I'll be happy to share them but I have been asked not to share them publicly. Feel free to visit my brothers blog of his year in Germany or my new blog


Sunday, July 25, 2010

Friday

Ironically the night after writing abou my dreams hear I went and saw
inception. And for those of you who don't know it's all about dreams.
That's not the topic of my writing today. Like I said earlier we
didn't get to go to luxor this weekend because one of our friends was
sick. She felt well enough inthe afternoon that she Jamie, Nolan and I
were able to go to Coptic Cairo.

Egypt is a very islamic country but it does have it's christians. The
christians here are Coptic and not roman catholic so they have
seperate priests etc. I haven't seen a roman catholic church but the
Coptic churches are prevalent and the school where we are staying is
connected to a Coptic church. The Coptic churches in Coptic Cairo are
much older and much more beautiful than this one. The museums seem to
be in a complex of 5 or six churches, a synagogue, and a museum. We
went to the museum and looked at the artifacts we weren't in a rush
but there were so many placards that we couldn't read everything.
Still, we managed to come out with more knowlede than we did going
in. Before this we had seen churches, visited churches, and talked to
Copts but we didn't know the signifigance. The art was beautiful and
their designs were very obviusly derived from many other regions like
Italy, Greece etc. We went to look at some of the churches but only
managed to get inside one because many closed at 4, just as we were
leaving the Coptic museum. We missed the church where Mary and baby
Jesus supposedly stayed for a while as well as the synagogue.

After exhausting ourselves with walking we decidedto catch the metro
back to tahrir square where we now have a favorite restaurant, Kazzaz.
It seems like the equivalent of Egyptian eat n' park. The food is
quick and relatively cheap and it is especially delicious. I had the
lentil soup which looked disgusting but tasted amazing. Jamie had
planned to meetfriwnds in zamalek and I wanted to meet my sister so we
grabbed a cab and split up once in zamalek. Alex, Lev, two friends of
theirs, and I went to Jo sushi which was good except I had just eaten
so my appetitte was small. We talked about various things and alex
and i joked about speaking german in front of the other three so that
they wouldn't understand. All together I saw alex three times while
in Cairo together which was less than I expected I would see her but I
guess it shows how well I adjusted and how much I enjoy the people I
am with on the trip. I had to lead dinner early so that I could meet
up with Jamie again, and take a cab back downtown where we were
meeting some other friends to go see inception which was AMAZING! We
all came out of the theater with different explanations though but it
tarted a conversation that lasted well into the night about dreams,
space, aliens, and more. It geeky I know but I think having my brain
violated by a movie is a justifiable cause to be geeky

No comments: