About My Blog

I Spent six weeks in Egypt before spending a year in Germany. This blog covers the best summer of my life. If you are looking for my posts while I was in Germany ask me, and I'll be happy to share them but I have been asked not to share them publicly. Feel free to visit my brothers blog of his year in Germany or my new blog


Thursday, July 22, 2010

The dream sequence

I lied. We aren't going to Luxor this weekend. One of our friends got
sick and we all agreed it wasn't in her best interest to travel and we
didn't want to go see everything without her especially since she was
most interested in going. This however leaves me with no experiences
to write about. I'm sure there will still be experiences this weekend
like our trip to the mogamma, a mosque, a soccer game, and maybe
Alexandria again. For now though, I'll write what I feel that I have
left out of my descriptions. These are minute details about Egypt and
Cairo that aren't vital but definitely interesting and worth writing
about and reading if you have the time to do that.

I'll start with a recent subject amongst our friends here, dreams.
This may seem weird and it is but alot of times one person will
mention something randomly unusual and everyone else stops, turns, and
says "oh my god! You're right!". Recently this something has been
dreams. As some background information, I never dream in the united
states and if I do, I never remember them the next morning. Here on
the other hand, I do dream. I have dreamt at other points in life, so
dreams are not completely foreign to me but these dreams are. Not
only do I dream but I dream vividly. I rememembe minute details, I
feel as if I can actually reach out and do things, I can hear and see
and I am definitely myself in these dreams and I can control what I
do. At first this was interesting to see the different dreams I would
have and the new dream experiences I would have. Recently though the
dreams have been sequential, for the past three periods of sleep (2
naps and 1 night time sleep) my dreams have been a continuous story.
This is wierd because I have had recurring dreams and dreams with
stories but never my own tv show that plays on my eyelids as I sleep.
I brought this up with some other students and they agreed that
something about the dreams here was different. We have several
hypotheses like new chemicals in the food, the bottled water, the
pollution, the horns, the language, etc. It's one of the more
quizzical things about this place that I will probably never find out
but it has been nice. And I kind of look forward to sleeping to see
how my story continues and maybe changing it. Jamie, one of the other
students, says that the last time her dreams were this vivid was when
she was hyped up on pain killers after surgery but that they were so
vivid that the idea of sleeping was scary. I'm glad my dreams are not
at that point but also dissapointed to know that after a few days back
in the US my dreams will once again dissapear. This is a cometely
random post but something that has been on my mind all day. I'll
continue this miniseries of Egyptian oddities this weekend but now my
dreams await.

No comments: