About My Blog

I Spent six weeks in Egypt before spending a year in Germany. This blog covers the best summer of my life. If you are looking for my posts while I was in Germany ask me, and I'll be happy to share them but I have been asked not to share them publicly. Feel free to visit my brothers blog of his year in Germany or my new blog


Friday, June 25, 2010

We left Pittsburgh today and now we are sitting on the plane waiting to take off. I spent the morning rushing around making sure I had everything I needed and wanted for the trip. When I go to the airport I realized that several of the other students (I don't really know what we are) had already checked in and that their carry on luggage was larger than my single checked bag. My carry on is also only the size of a school backpack so I can't even imagine what the other people in the group packed. We talked and met at the ticket counter and then went through security which was the longest line I have ever seen at an airport. The TSA agent was chatty and obviously bored as he barely glanced at our passports (funny but worrysome). Once we got to the gate we bonded and had mini conversations across the seats in our large group. The flight to New York was an hour shorter than planned, which always seems to happen so they must schedule in the landing pattern when there is slot of air traffic.

We left Pittsburgh today and now we are sitting on the plane waiting
to take off. I spent the morning rushing around making sure I had
everything I needed and wanted for the trip. When I go to the airport
I realized that several of the other students (I don't really know
what we are) had already checked in and that their carry on luggage
was larger than my single checked bag. My carry on is also only the
size of a school backpack so I can't even imagine what the other
people in the group packed. We talked and met at the ticket counter
and then went through security which was the longest line I have ever
seen at an airport. The TSA agent was chatty and obviously bored as
he barely glanced at our passports (funny but worrysome). Once we got
to the gate we bonded and had mini conversations across the seats in
our large group. The flight to New York was an hour shorter than
planned, which always seems to happen so they must schedule in the
landing pattern when there is slot of air traffic.

We had three hours to waste in JFK which isn't the worst place to
spend three hours but it really is a money pit. I paid almost ten
dollars for dinner and also bought a book which hopefully will occupy
me during the almost twelve hour flight. I also have Arabic to study
but I was relieved to find out that almost no nobody has read their
books or even learned the alphabet which is definitely comforting that
I will be at or above the level of the other students when we get
there. Nolan, from Johnstown, and I have already planned to find a
restaurant, cafe, or some place where we can watchthe USA v. Ghana
soccer match. We are both hoping that because Ghana is the last
remaining African team there will be several places to choose from
where we can watch. It's to bad we weren't here for the USA v.
Algeria game because then the Egyptians would surely be cheering with
us.

So far I like everyone on the trip and I can definitely see myself
enjoying this trip just because of the people but I'm sure the other
expriences will make this trip even better. Now if only the plane
would take off and we would be on our way.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Well, as I see from your further notes the plane did take off. And you found out that meals are cheaper in Egypt, so hopefully your money will last.